Points of interest to visit

 

Cistercian Abbey of Santa Maria in Follina

 

Built on a former Benedictine abbey in the twelfth century, reframed in period Cistercian, the present church (1305 Abbot Gualtiero da Lodi - 1335 Abbot Nordio of Treviso), presents the typical Latin-plan construction with the front facing west and apse facing east just as provided the symbology Cistercian.

Inside the church are to be reported among these fine works :

the great wooden altarpiece of neo-Gothic style built by Venetian workers in 1921, a perfect copy of the original altarpiece inside the church of S.Zaccaria in Venice. It accommodate the sandstone statue of Our Lady of the Sacred Goblet of Nubian origin suggests that someone of the sixth century, has been an object of veneration and pilgrimage by thousands of faithful from all over Italy; the fresco "Lady and Child with Saints" in 1527 by Francesco da Milano; a substantial wooden crucifix from the Baroque period (the time Camaldolese) by an unknown author.

The splendid cloister of age before the basilica and perfectly preserved in the elegant effect of movement created by the columns that constitute it, was completed in 1268, when the Cistercian monks settled in the monastery, as it shows the engraving of stone placed on the north side of the cloister itself.

It stands, from the intersection of the nave with the transept on the right, the beautiful Romanesque bell tower of a square base, the oldest artifact in the architectural complex of the abbay.

 

And this elegant Cloister Lodge and Abbot of the sixteenth century.

 

 

 

Follina Abbey is open every day from 7.00 to 12.00 and from 14.30 to 19.00; not allowed entry into the basilica with tour groups during the performance of religious functions.

For more information and guided tours of the abbey you can contact the fathers of the Abbey at tel. 0438-970231

 

 

 

Castelbrando

Castelbrando is a medieval castle situated on a dolomite limestone rock at an elevation of 370 m. above sea level, looking down on the villages of Cison di Valamrino and Valmareno, northern Italy.

Castelbrando was originally built in the Roman age as a defensive fortess in order to protect the important lines of communication which connected northern Italy to the countries on the other side of the Alps. Originally there was a garrison here protecting the territory between the Piave and the Livenza rivers in order to facilitate the safe construction of the pre-alpine parte of the Via Claudia Augusta, an important Roman Road, which linked the valley of the Po river with Rhaetia (modern Austria). The original castrum, dating from 46AD is still visible today. During the european migration period the fortress became an important defensive position against barbarian invasion. Over the centuries the castle has been subject  to numerous enlargements and renovations. During the 13th century the castle was substantially enlarged while under the ownershio of the Da Camino family, who lived there from 1233 to 1335. Gherardo III Da Camino, the great italian feudal lord and military leader was born in the castle in 1240.

The Castle's ownership then passed over to the Republic of Venice, which awarded the Castle's fiefdom first to Marin Faliero and then to the condottieri Giovanni Brandolino and Erasmo da Narni, better known as "Gattamelata". After the fall of Venetian Republic in 1797, it was passed down through the family of Giovanni Brandolino and became the property of the Brandolini Counts. In the first half of the 16th century Antonio Maria Brandolini (1476-1522), commissioned skilled engineers to enlarge the central part of the castle in Sansovino style. In 1700 the Brandolini family commissioned Ottavio Scotti, architect and Count of Treviso, to design and build an extension to the southern part of the castle. Part of these works included the building of a castle chapel and the Church of San Martino.

During World war, the castle was invaded by Imperial Austrian forces and used as a military hospital. The Brandolini family abandoned their home and escaped to their Solighetto villa near Pieve di Soligo. After 10 years of restoration work, financed by Count Girolamo IV Brandolini (1870-1935), the castle was re-opened as a place of residence in 1929. In 1959 the castle wos sold by the Brandolini family to the Salesian fathers, who altered its structure to use it as a monastery and as a centre for spiritual studies. In 1997 Castelbrando was purchased by Quaternary Investments Spa, who started an expansive renovation program in order to convert it into a hotel and museum.

 

 

 

Molinetto della Croda in Refrontolo

Original rural architecture of 1600 was altered several times while performing its function without interruption of the mill.

The building's foundation rests on the bare rock that features the spectacular waterfall that with his water, turns the wheel of the mill, hence the name.

It’s remained in operation until 1953, then was uninhabited for several years and been abandoned almost at the edge of destruction.

Purchased by the City of Refrontolo has been faithfully restored, in particular, was rebuilt in scrupulously the great wooden wheel and all the gears, always wood, grinds inside now visible to the public.

This important cultural heritage is now accessible to the community, not only for its natural vocation as a museum of milling, primarily ethnographic exhibition on the folk culture of the Marca and the Veneto.

Owned by the City of Refrontolo (Treviso), which is organized small museum of milling, with the large water wheel, in operation, which moves the gears inside the wooden mill.

Exhibition will be organized periodically, mainly concerning wine and viticulture and preferably ethnographic exhibitions on popular culture Venetian.

Association Molinetto della Croda - tel. 0438.978199 0438.894142

www.molinettodellacroda.it

Visit:   Wednesday Thursday  Friday 14.30/18.00     Holidays  10.00/12.00 - 14.30/19.00

 

Caglieron  Caves

One of the most beautiful natural scenery of the province of Treviso is certainly suggestive caves formed by the Caglieron: a truly unique environment consisting of a series of caves that were formed in the centuries following the work of nature and man in a ravine excavated by the waters of the stream name.

The Caglieron caves are located in area Breda of Fregona, near Vittorio Veneto, the complex consists of a series of cavities, of which part of natural and artificial origin.

That is a natural deep gorge carved by the river Caglieron layers of limestone conglomerate, sandstone and marl of the Middle Miocene.

On the walls of the gorge opening of large cavities, obtained by extraction of the sandstone, the typical “stone Dolza". mining activity dating back to 1500 and possibly earlier, it follows a set so evocative of natural cavities and artificial, distributed along the ravine at the bottom of which flows the river swirling, noisy, to be equipped for tourism.

Along the various caves is now used as a footpath, facilitated by bold wooden bridges.

 

 

 

 

 

    It pops open near an old mill converted into a tavern-restaurant.

 

 

 

 

 

 

SAN BOLDO.............100 DAYS OF THE ROAD

The  passo  San Boldo

After millennia of hard passage, on foot or with riding donkeys, the rugged path called the "channel of the scale" or dialect Canal de San Boit, an important road communication between the Treviso foothills and Valbelluna, became a road for carriages, built in 100 days from the Austrian genius diggers under the command of Colonel Nicholas Waldmann in the winter 1917-18, with the work of Russian prisoners and women Tovena.

 

 

 

 

La Pieve of San Pietro di Feletto

 

 

La Pieve of S. Pietro, splendid work of the Lombard period, was built during the eleventh century, but already the seventh and eighth centuries was the meeting place of the faithful who flocked to the numerous religious functions. They came especially for the baptism. La Pieve was in fact the only Church to have the privilege of owning the baptismal font.

The parish, the oldest in the diocese, was reduced to a simple branch was created in 1830 when the new parish of Rua. The Church suffered from the earthquake of 29 June 1873 of serious damage but was also completely restored in its rich painted decoration.

Very interesting is the chapel of the baptistery or S. Sebastian, all painted; significant cycle of the Apostles 'Creed and the representation of Christ's Sunday. L' exterior features a large porch, which probably also had the function of ensuring a safe place for the common people during the course of meetings of a social, political and statement.

The tower, which stands isolated, with spire of the sixteenth century, in Romanesque style modeled on that of Aquileia. La Pieve is preceded by a staircase of the nineteenth century.

Within the architecture is fascinating, but essential: there are three narrow aisles divided by round arches on large rectangular pillars. In the background, opens with a semicircular apse paint layers. The walls of the central nave are entirely painted with works by various authors and refined with hints of the Byzantine style, ranging from the thirteenth to the fifteenth century. Beautiful baptismal font of the chapel, decorated with frescoes by the end of four hundred illustrating the life and martyrdom of St. Sebastian.

 

Currently La Pieve, despite its small size, offers visitors a varied and unusual art performance.

 

 

Hours:  Saturday 9:00 to 10:00/15:00 to 20:00,    Sunday 9.00 to 11.30/14.30 to19.00.

 

 

It's possible to visit the church on other days and times in advance only by calling the number : 

348-7337951 or 329-3615869

 

 

OSTERIA  SENZA  OSTE

(A TAVERN WITHOUT HOST)

Near Valdobbiadene, specifically in the village of Santo Srefano, set to peak on the most famous vineyards of "Cartizze" with breathtaking view, you can find the now famous tavern "Osteria senza oste". The host is not, every morning, every weather throughout the year goes to supply the local with fresh bread, wine Prosecco from the renowned local  wineries, local cheeses and meats of excellent workmanship and all that is needed to accomodate as best as possible to his guests.In return asks only environment and a small contribution transfer to a special casket for consumer spending, relying on the honesty and seriousness of his guests.

For the tourist who came to visit our area, leaving the sign of the passage inside the tavern is almost an obbligation, a visit well rewarded with panoramic view and the good things with the atmosphere.

 

 

   View on the vineyars of "Cartizze"

 

 

 

 

Details inside the tavern

 

 

Archaeological Park  Didactic  Livelet

Operators on duty to offer visitors a giuded tour of the Livelet pile-dwelling villages rebulded. The tour focuses on the arc chronologically from the neolithic to the bronze age, a period rich in technological innovations and relevant socia-economic transformation, to discover the roots of our most remote  and skills of our ancestors in the manufacture and cooking pots, in the prduction of weapons and tools, in chipping of the stone, weaving.....

Tourist Information Office of Conegliano

from Tuesday to Friday 9:30 to 12:30     Tel 0438 21230 Fax 0438 428777                      E-mail: livelet@unpliveneto.it

For information on opening days of the Park:        Tel 329 2605713

 

Open to the public and rates:

School groups     by appointment “from Monday to Saturday “

admittance ticket:  Euro 4.00 discount price Euro 2.00 (young people aged 6 to 18 years, old over 65, disabled)

Visitors : from 1 April to 31 October: every Sunday and on Easter Sunday, Easter Monday, April 25, May 1, June 2, August 15  Opening times: 10:00 to 18:00 in April, May, June, September and October       10:00 to 19:00 in July and August. Last admission three quarters of an hour before closing.

Groups : (minimum 25 persons reservation required)    Tour with drive and theoretical study  (lasting about 2.5 hours): 5.00 Euro. Tour with drive (duration 1 hour): Euro 3.00.

To find the program each day and keep you updated on the initiatives the park,

Visit :  http://livelet.provincia.treviso.it   e-mail: livelet@unpliveneto.it

 

informations         how reach us       the bedrooms     photo         winter photo          sports       events

HOME  PAGE